Monday February 22 is National Margarita Day. This sounds like a perfect excuse to throw a quick mid-winter party. Legend has it the Margarita was invented in 1948 by socialite Margarita Sames.
The story says she hosted a party in her Acapulco home and in looking for something different to serve she mixed Tequila Herradura, Cointreau with lime juice and served. The drink was a hit and the party went on for 2-weeks!
To me, Ms. Margarita Sames sounds like a fab hostess. So in honor of this great day for the number 1 most popular cocktail in the US, I suggest you throw a quick little chic Margarita party for 6 to 8 of your closest friends. Here are my etiquette tips to make your shindig ultra fabulous!
- Write out your guest list and include your most fun spur-of-the-moment friends.
- Time is tight so fight the urge to email and just pick up the phone and call your guests.
- Create a quick menu of finger foods and appetizers.
- Purchase your food and beverage ingredients.
- It’s a small group so forgo the paper products and use real plates and glasses.
- I LOVE the Cheers Margarita glasses by Mikasa they're just perfect for the occasion!
9 oz Tequila Herradura Blanco
1 liter tamarind pulp (can be found in retail locations featuring Hispanic or organic products)
4-6 oz simple syrup
Juice of 2 oranges
Juice of 2 limes
Chili powder and salt
- In a container, mix tamarindo pulp, Tequila Herradura Blanco, simple syrup, orange and lime juices. Shake all of these ingredients by hand.
- Fill half of a blender pitcher with ice, and complete with the liquid mix just prepared. Blend.
- Serve in Mikasa's 'Cheers' margarita glasses rimmed with chili powder and salt
- Makes 6 cocktails
- Light any candles, turn on some music, and turn down the stove.
- Be near the door to welcome your guests.
- Offer an appetizer and drink upon guest arrival.
- It's a party - so enjoy your guests, rock on and have fun!!!