The key to a great Valentines Day gift is to select a gift that is a perfect fit based on the length of your relationship. What you give will say quite a bit about what the person means to you. An extravagant gift too early could send the recipient running. And an everyday-run-of-the-mill gift within the confines of a long-term relationship can hurt a romance.
Now if are have not been dating your honey very long you’re not sure if you are doing a gift exchange – the best thing to do is just ask. Don’t assume anything otherwise you could end up making the other person feel uncomfortable. It does not take much to have a simple nor pressure conversation about how you handle this “day for lovers”. This way you are both clear on what to expect.
One month or less
A simple card (watch what you say – don’t over do the mushy stuff, it’s too early).
3 to 6 Months
- Specialty baked goods such as brownies cookies
- Candy still works (make it something exotic or interesting)
- Journals or stationary
- Instructional CD’s (Be mindful of the type of self-help CD choice, you don’t want to seem like you are trying to ‘fix’ the other person).
6 Months or more
- Picture frames (with pictures of the two of you)
- Any type of special gift that reflects something or time you’ve experienced in during relationship.
- Gift cards with meaning (someplace or something you KNOW they’ll really enjoy)
1-Year or more
- Jewelry (men and women)
- Cuff links
- Jewelry (did I already say that? Okay well then yeah after a year it’s time for some bling!)